Only 30% of employees are engaged in their jobs, which means the other 70% of our workforce are getting paid to eat, sleep, work, repeat. Finding a way to address this vast amount of people who are sleep-walking through their jobs is the task of Glen Elliot, in his new book: Build it – the Rebel Playbook for Employee Engagement.
The book made its debut on the 23rd February and is already an Amazon bestseller, with endorsements from New York Times bestselling author Daniel H Pink, Netflix former Chief Talent Officer Patty McCord and CEO and bestselling author Margaret Heffernan. So what makes the book so special?
Build it emphasises the importance of employee wellbeing, and it presents a compelling business case for having a happier workforce. Over 10 years of research by Elliot and co-author Deborah Corey shows how companies with the best cultures generate stock market returns of twice the general market, whilst enjoying half the employee turnover of their peers.
Through 60 different case studies from organisations across several different industries, Build it shows how staff who are motivated and engaged are more innovative, deliver better customer service and outperform competitors by a long way.
So how do you actually start trying to engage your employees? For those looking to take action within their organisation, Build it present a clear model and step-by-step process to make impactful, sustainable changes. The book follows Elliot’s Engagement Bridge™model, which highlights 10 key areas companies need to re-examine in order to build a highly engaged company culture.
At Jump, we are specialists in providing employee engagement programmes to companies, universities and local councils. Like Elliot, we advocate for employee engagement through use of the carrot and not the stick approach. Our innovative online platform and app uses gamification and rewards to motivate employees to make wellbeing and environmentally sustainable behaviour changes.