Transport accounts for around a quarter of the UK’s greenhouse gas emissions, so travelling sustainably is one of the most important things you do to cut down your carbon footprint.
Walking and cycling are the greenest options for commuting to work, with zero emissions associated to these forms of transport. But if you live far away from work and walking or cycling isn’t an option for you, there are still plenty of things you can do to make your journey in a car more energy efficient and less harmful to the planet.Car sharing You can cut the cost of your daily commute and your carbon footprint by car sharing. There are plenty of options for car sharing; from setting up an informal car share with your colleagues in the office to offering a lift on Liftshare.com or joining Co-Wheels car club. Inflate your tires, deflate your footprint A recent study conducted by truck maker Volvo and tyre manufacturer Michelin showed having the right tyre pressure can reduce fuel consumption, and therefore C02 emissions by up to 15%. So make sure to regularly check your tyres are at the correct pressure, as a lower fuel consumption will not only reduce your carbon footprint, it will also save you money on fuel. Buy a used car Around 25% of a car’s total emissions are produced in the process of making it and the other 75% are produced when you drive it. So if you’re in the market for a new car, buying an old car instead of a brand new one will automatically reduce your emissions. If you are set on a new car, look for one with low emissions or an electric car – which will mean you never have to pay for fuel again! Our employee engagement scheme at Bournemouth University is a great example of how to encourage your staff to travel to work more sustainably. Staff here are rewarded for travelling actively (on foot or by bike), on public transport and for car sharing.
Photo: Bournemouth University staff car sharing on their way to work Across all our Jump schemes, staff have recorded over 300,000 kilometres of sustainable travel. To find out more, or request a case study, email firstname.lastname@example.org.